WiFi, the one single cause of many emotions around the world these days. We all use it and are familiar with WiFi getting connected automatically when we get in touching distance of a previously configured wifi. This, though an amazing feature can cause a problem from the Bluetooth era, too many wifi networks, many of which you might never need again. A cluttered and organized screen is a curse we all share. And you are here because you wanted to know how to manually delete WiFi network profiles in windows using regedit cmd (registry editor) or cmd (command prompt).
WiFi, though an amazing feature can cause a problem from the Bluetooth era, too many wifi networks, many of which you might never need again. A cluttered and organized screen is a curse we all share. But worry no more we will show you how to manually delete WiFi Network profile in Windows 8.1/10.
Unfortunately, Windows doesn’t have any go-to option to delete WiFi networks. You can forget network like in most Android Phones, but that causes problems while connecting later. The best solution is to erase the network completely and these are some things you can try. Given the fact Express WiFi from Facebook is coming, it is something we are going to fix now or never.
Delete WiFi Network Profiles
- Open Command Prompt (as Administrator) and run the command below to get the list of wireless networks to which you made a connection.
netsh wlan show profilesand press enter
- To delete a wireless network profile use the command below
netsh wlan delete profile name="YOURWIFINAME"(Note: Replace YOURWIFINAME with your WiFi network name that needs to be deleted. Windows will notify when it is done. You can confirm by repeating step)
- Next, press Windows Key + R combination, type Regedt32.exe in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
- In the left pane of this location, under the Profiles key, you’ll see long name subkeys. For each network, either it is WiFi or Ethernet type, there is a unique key. You have to highlight keys in the left panel and check the Profile name string’s value in the right panel. Once you find the correct subkey for deleted network profile right click and delete it.
This step completely erases the WiFi network profile from your PC!! This is a fix for those who are having trouble with deleting their network profiles using the common forget network technique. Hope it helps. Do check our guide on how to find your friends WiFi password without letting him know.