In a Workspace having things synchronized is a boon in disguise, and what if you could do this to your laptops using a just a LAN cable?? LAN in today’s world is the fastest way to transfer data, and play games like Counter Strike 1.6. While most people find it difficult it is actually easy to connect two computers or laptops using lan cable! Read our quick 2 minute tutorial to setup Ethernet cable.
How to connect two laptops/computers using Ethernet cable
Step 1: Give same Workgroup name to both Laptops
- Right click on My PC and browse to Properties in the drop-down menu.
- Click “Change Settings” in the system window.
- In System Properties screen, click “change” and select Workgroup, and change the name as you wish. Make sure you enter the same workgroup name for your second laptop.
- This will identify both laptops as a part of the same workgroup.
Step 2: Connect LAN cable
After connecting the LAN cable, go to “Network and Sharing center” and wait for the “identifying “ notification to appear here.
Step 3: Change adapter settings
- Click change adapter settings on the left side of the window
- In the Network Connections Screen right click on the “Ethernet” icon.
- Click Ethernet properties and on the next screen scroll down to TCP/IPv4 and double click
- Select “Use the following IP address” and enter the following accordingly from Ipv4 properties.
IP address: 192.168.0.10 [ In your 2nd laptop the IP address will change to 192.168.0.20]
Check- validate settings upon exit and click OK.
Step 4: Connect The Homegroup
- At the bottom left corner of the Network and Sharing Center click “HomeGroup”
- In the next screen, you will notice an error “To create or join a homegroup your computers network connection must be set to private”. To solve this problem, click on the Homegroup troubleshoot option below the error message.
and click next and then skip the next step click and windows will start detecting problems, and after this on the next screen “apply this fix”.
- Up next the setup will ask you if you are creating a new homegroup or joining an existing one. Close the dialog box.
You will see there is no error message on homegroup the screen now.
- Click “join now” button below the message box and then select the folder you want to share.
Enter your desired password and voila!! You have successfully connected both your laptops via Ethernet cable.
If the following steps don’t help you set up your LAN in your windows, or there are some problems still persisting, let us know in the comments section.