Counter Strike 1.6 has been the god of first person shooting games and it is still the legend of most played fps games on computer. But with newer generations of windows, many people find it hard to run CS 1.6 on their Windows 8/8.1 or 10.
With this post, we will tell you three methods by which you can fix your system to run counter strike 1.6 in your laptop/pc.
Before we proceed, let’s see what usually happens when we try to run CS 1.6 in our computer:
Errors in Running CS 1.6 in Windows 8/8.1/10
Most common problems reported while running counter strike includes:
- Blank/Black Screen after running the game.
- Windows reporting something like “the game has crashed, would you like to complain?”.
- Nothing happens really.
Fix Counter Strike 1.6 in Windows 8/8.1/10
Check out this simple video for quick solution to problem-
Following are the proposed three methods for running CS 1.6 in your computer:
Method 1: Changing the Compatibility for the Game
- Right click on the icon of counter strike on your desktop (shortcut works), and click Properties.
- In the tabs, go to Compatibility and check Compatibility mode.
- Select previous versions of windows, say XP, Vista, or any other. Save the settings and close the dialogue box.
- Run the game and see if it works. If it still doesn’t, try to change to different version of Windows.
Changing compatibility settings help in running cs 1.6 in windows 8.1 by forcing it to play in different settings than windows 8. We also found that playing counter strike in lower resolution helped in fixing things. However, it’s more of hit and trial method and we had to check for different compatibility settings to make it work. Moreover, the results are not stable.
Method 2: Download the Counter Strike 1.6 for Windows 8/8.1/10
Go to //rampage.us.lt and download the preferred version for your windows. You can grab from following links quickly-
This so far is the best fix for counter strike. It is stable and perfect. You don’t need hassle and changing settings or searching on google for fix of CS 1.6 with this download. It is definitely recommended.
Method 3: Changing the Registry Key for Counter Strike
This is under testing. However, you can still try and see if it works for you.
- Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve folder in Windows Registry.
- Exit Steam
- Press win + R
- Type regedit, press OK
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER – Software
- Find Valve, right click – Export, save it, it’s a backup.
- Delete this valve folder.
- Launch Steam and cs 1.6
Many are still crazy for this game, especially when playing on LAN networks. It is addictive and the killer game of all times. If you still have problems, let us know in the comments section.